23.5.12

Runner's Blog - Certifiable

So this is gonna be a quickie.... inasmuch as I am actually capable of such things.  One week later = 3 weeks into the 30 day workout and a new crunch time goal for running training.  And by crunch time, I mean "stumbled on an entry slot for a race this Saturday" crunch time.  (look here, and you'll see in full color my sudden obsession with entering something official).  Yesterday, I just happened to mention off-hand that I was bummed about the sold-out status of the race, and my new baker friend Liz called me to the table as a replacement for someone with an unfortunate injury.  She didn't know I was bluffing, so I had to see her bet before she could call my hand, which means getting serious about doing some running so I don't make a complete ass out of myself in three days.

This is how I work best.

Most people around me would probably say that I am a very strategic, analytical, and deliberate thinker.  It's not that they would be wrong, it's just that for all the time I spend analyzing and strategizing, most of it goes out the window when it comes time for me to make the final call.  It seems as though a disproportionately huge amount of my active successes in life are achieved as the result of pushing myself to meet some unrealistic, ill-timed goal brought on by a gut instinct decision: DO IT, OR DON'T.  In this case, I'm doing it (provided that all the registration can be transferred over, blah blah boring stuff).  And to get prepped, I dropped the pretense, plugged in the tunes, fired up the training app, did the stretching and the timing, and even the "hardcore" workout, and then I went running.  4.5k.  And I feel pretty good.  What was all the fuss about again? 

No comments:

Post a Comment